Described as “contemporary, edgy, descriptive, and extremely soulful,” Sally Lamb McCune has become an important voice American contemporary classical music. Her works, which range from chamber pieces to music for chorus, wind ensemble and opera, are convincing and evocative, often blending the traditional with the avant-garde. McCune lives and works in Ithaca, New York, where she teaches at Ithaca College.
Recent Works & Publications
- Original Études for Developing Conductors is an open-access collection of supplemental études designed to enhance contemporary conducting pedagogy. Each étude …
- “Listen Here” for SATB Choir and Optional Vocal Percussion now available through the Rollo Dilworth Choral Series, Hal Leonard Pub. …
- Now Available through the Judith Clurman Choral Series, Hal Leonard Pub. The poetry of “Silent Sea” by Rachael Boast, appeared …
McCune named Composer In Residence for “Banding Together: Exploring the Collegiate Wind Band as a Vehicle for Community, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion”Sally McCune has been name Composer-in-Residence for the “Banding Together” initiative at Eastman School of Music, Syracuse University and Cornell University. She will work with the wind ensembles at each …Read More »
- Nov. 6, 8:15 pm Ithaca College Contemporary Chamber Ensemble with Viridian Quartet – Caveat for Saxophone Quartet and Drum Set Nov. 13, 7:30 pm Eastman Wind Ensemble – Spiral Nov. …Read More »
With a driving, Appalachian-style folk melody, wide ranges that show off the mature treble voice, and a full range of dynamic contrasts, "Go Dig My Grave" is sure to be a show stopper.
- Roger Dean, Publishing Company -
It is a joy to include the fine music of Sally Lamb McCune in my choral series at Hal Leonard!
- Judith Clurman, conductor -
Sally Lamb McCune is becoming one of America's leading composers of choral music. This arrangement combining “Materna,” “America the Beautiful” and “Amazing Grace” is a tour de force for any outstanding choir and will certainly become the standard for any patriotic arrangments to follow.
-Hal Leonard, Mark Foster Series -
Sally's music is full of vibrancy and creativity. Her craft is extremely well-honed and her orchestration for the wind ensemble exploits the myriad of colors the medium offers. She hits the sweet spot of developing ideas to their logical conclusion but not past that point. Sally is a true artist.
-Dr. Cynthia Johnston Turner , Director of Bands, University of Georgia -
Sally Lamb McCune's music speaks with engaging clarity and directness.
-American Academy of Arts and Letters